Friday, May 21, 2010

Songs that Boy-Bands actually got right

I'm talking of the years around 1996 to 2001 where boy-bands arguably ruled the charts displacing most of the erstwhile popular bands. Now, don't mistake me. I have no one particular genre of music I claim to endorse. I like/liked them all. This was when I was a teenager. I liked these clean shaven, emotionally loaded, sharply dressed boys who seemed to have their way with women in their videos. Even if my elder sisters snubbed them for Bon Jovi, I remained a fan of their adolescent charm.

I always thought these guys have been discredited for any form of music they brought to the forefront because they were only the voices and not the instrumentalists behind the song. My argument is, that as the audience, if I'm getting decent music, and they're the face of it, I might as well appreciate them.

Also, keep in mind that these songs were associated with some kick-ass moments of my childhood. Hence this compilation. Here Goes:


Backstreet boys - Everybody
Face it. It was catchy as hell. It was on everyone's lips and established the band as a a pop icon. A regular beat at dance competitions in school.



Five - We will rock you
Yes. I like the original. But if you're still stuck up enough not to admire the improvements, screw you.


Boyzone - Words
It's a cover. But it's good. And remembered.


NSYNC - Bye Bye Bye
No really. It was fast and catchy and the song was a boost to the 15 year old me in getting over a chick I used to ogle at. Truth.


Backstreet boys - I want it that way
Ah. Cheesiness redefined. And with style. So popular that I will post below an infamous take on this song:


Blue - One love
This was their biggest hit to start with. And an extremely popular tune found everywhere in early 2000s.


Other notable mentions:
Westlife - Seasons in the Sun
MLTR - Someday (Technically they were a regular full time band, but somehow have always been thought as a boy-band)

PS: For all the truly Metal/Hard Rock fan who wear Jimi Hendrix T-Shirts and are tearing their hair apart at this post: Up Yours.
(And on a related note, what's the big deal about Hendrix anyway? I really tried to figure out what all the holler was about. All his music sounds like a mish mash of multiple cymbals and a ruined throat)

1 comment:

VIP said...

Good compilation.. :) Though in my list All Rise would come above One Love.. And larger than life too.. :)